All students enrolled in one or more VCE or VET Unit 3&4 sequences MUST sit the GAT.
The General Achievement Test (GAT) is a test of your general knowledge and skills in the following areas:
- Written communication
- Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Humanities, the Arts and Social Sciences.
THE TIME AND THE TASKS
The GAT will take place in a single three-hour session. It will take place on Tuesday 7 June, 2016, from 10.00am-1.15pm in Heyward Hall. Students must be in the Gym at 8.45am for preparation on this day.
Writing Task 1: 30 minutes
Writing Task 2: 30 minutes
70 Multiple-choice questions: 2 hours
TOTAL: 3 hours
Sample questions, previous GAT papers and answers to multiple choice questions are available on the VCAA website (http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au). It is expected that students will read past GAT papers in preparation. All Year 11 and 12 students are given a GAT preparation session prior to the date, which includes an information pamphlet and past GAT paper.
HOW IS THE GAT USED?
The VCAA will use the GAT scores as a basis for:
- contributing to statistical moderation of School-assessed Coursework
- reviewing school assessments in School-assessed Tasks
- special provision and derived examination scores
- checking the accuracy of examination marking.
- some universities use it in tertiary course selections